- Interpersonal relationships (jealousy, love)
- Student motives for civic involvement
- Community service and civic engagement in higher education
- Evaluation of educational programs
- Hanover College Psychology and Mathematics B.A. 1969
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst Social Psychology M.S. 1972 Ph.D. 1974
- Bringle, R. G., Clayton, P. H. & Plater, W. M. (2013). Assessing diversity, global, and civic learning: A means to change in higher education. Democracy and Diversity, 13(3), 4-6. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.
- Bringle, R. G., Winnick, T. A., & Rydell, B. J. (2013). The prevalence and nature of unrequited love. SAGE Open,3(2).
- Clayton, P. H., Bringle, R. G., & Hatcher, J. A. (Eds.). (2013). Research on service learning: Conceptual frameworks and assessment. Vols. 2A & 2B. Arlington, VA: Stylus.
- Hatcher, J. A., & Bringle, R. G. (Eds.). (2012). Understanding service-learning and community engagement: Crossing boundaries through research. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Steinberg, K, Hatcher, J. A., & Bringle, R. G. (2011, Fall). A north star: Civic-Minded graduate. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 19-33.
- Thomson, A. M., Smith-Tolken, A., Naidoo, A. V., & Bringle, R. G. (2011). Service learning and civic engagement: A comparison of three national contexts. Voluntas, 22, 214-237.
- Bringle, R. G., Hatcher, J. A., & Jones, S. G. (Eds.). (2011). International service learning: Conceptual frameworks and research. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Bringle, R. G., & Steinberg, K. (2010). Educating for informed community involvement. American Journal of Community Psychology, 46, 428-441.
- Bringle, R. G., Hatcher, J. A., & Muthiah, R. (2010). The role of service-learning on retention of first-year students to second year. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 16(2), 38-49.
- Plater, W. M., Jones, S. G., Bringle, R. G., & Clayton, P. H. (2009). Educating globally competent citizens through international service learning. In R. Lewin (Ed.), The handbook of practice and research in study abroad: Higher education and the quest for global citizenship (pp. 485-505). Florence, KY: Taylor and Francis Books.
- Bringle, R. G., & Rydell, R. J. (2009). Obsessive love. In H. Reis & S. Sprecher (Eds.). Encyclopedia of human relationships. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Jameson, J. K., Clayton, P. H., & Bringle, R. G. (2008). Investigating student learning within and across linked service-learning courses. In M. A. Bowdon, S. H. Billig, & B. A. Holland (Eds.), Advances in service-learning research: Scholarship for sustaining service-learning and civic engagement (pp. 3-27). Greenwich, CN: Information Age Publishing
- Bringle, R. G., & Plater, W. M. (2008). The public purposes of higher education: What does the public think? Metropolitan Universities, 19(3), 25-40.
- Rydell, R. J., & Bringle, R. G. (2007). Differentiating reactive and suspicious jealousy. Social Behavior and Personality, 35(8), 1099-1114.
Awards and Recognitions
- Legacy of Service Award, Indiana Campus Compact, 2012
- Glenn W. Irwin, Jr. M.D. Experience Excellence Recognition Award - Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, 2011
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence In Teaching - Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, 2011
- Philosophiae Doctor (honoris causa) University of the Free State, South Africa, 2004
- Outstanding Contributions to the Service-Learning Research Field - International Service-Learning Research Conference, 2004
- W. George Pinnell Award For Outstanding Service - Indiana University, 2003
- Volunteer of the Year Boys and Girls Clubs of Indianapolis, 2001
Title: Kulynych/Cline Visiting Distinguished Professor
Department: Department of Psychology
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2272 x410