Welcome to the Appalachian State University Dr. Wiley F. Smith Department of Psychology. The University is a member institution of the seventeen-campus University of North Carolina. Boone is located in the beautiful western mountains of North Carolina. With mild summers and winter skiing, the area is quite attractive to visitors with interest in outdoor activities.
The University has over 19,000 students and has been ranked by US News and World Report as one of the top 15 universities among southern public and private institutions since 1986. The Department has 36 full-time doctoral-level faculty members, approximately 1150 undergraduate majors, 500 undergraduate minors, and 80 full-time graduate students in the the clinical psychology (Psy.D.) doctoral program and three master's degree programs including Experimental, Industrial Organizational/Human Resource Management, and School Psychology, the latter also provides a specialist degree in addition to the MA. The Department provides a clinic for training, research, and service to the community. The faculty are dedicated to the mentoring of students and to offering opportunities for experiential learning.
Department of Psychology Mission Statement
The mission of the Dr. Wiley F. Smith Department of Psychology is to engage in teaching, scholarship, and service, in order to promote and advance understanding of the science of psychology, its application, and its utility to our students, fellow scholars, the University, and the public.
Department of Psychology Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
The faculty and staff of the Department of Psychology reject injustice and inequity, and we are committed to creating and nurturing an inclusive community that welcomes, respects, and supports everyone, including those from underrepresented and marginalized groups. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are integral to building and maintaining an environment that fosters academic excellence, professional development, and personal growth. We recognize the inherent value and dignity of each person, and we value the diversity of human behavior and experience and how individual and group differences shape attitudes, perceptions, and behaviors.
Our commitment to inclusion and equity enhances the missions of the Department of Psychology and the University by fostering engaging and enlightened teaching, encouraging rigorous and impactful research and service, and promoting collegial and equitable relationships. To these ends, we commit to:
- Cultivating an inclusive departmental community that values diverse perspectives and nurtures people with varied identities and experiences
- Recruiting and retaining faculty and staff with a range of identities and experiences, particularly those from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups
- Recruiting and retaining, supporting and advocating for students with a range of identities and experiences, particularly those from underrepresented and marginalized groups
- Promoting teaching, research, scholarship, and practice that recognize and highlight the centrality of diversity in our understanding of human behavior
- Using psychological research to proactively address issues related to diversity, inclusion, and equity, through partnerships across our campus and the broader community
- Creating and enacting Departmental policies, structures, and practices to ensure representation, inclusion, and equity
On April 25th, 2022, Dr. Holden received the Peak Performer award at his alma mater, Western Carolina University. This award is given to alumni of WCU...
Several students from the HR Science research team represented the department at the open house that took place on Saturday, April 9th. The students s...
School psychology faculty and students attended the annual convention of the National Association of School Psychologists in Boston from February 5-18...
Dr. Jim Deni Receives 2022 School Psychology Trainer of the Year Award for Outstanding Contributions to Service
Jim Deni has been selected as the recipient of the 2022 School Psychology trainer of the year for his Outstanding Service and Contribution to the fiel...
A several-year-long effort came to fruition last month when the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) added Industrial and Organizationa...