Dr. Hersh will be accepting a doctoral student for the Fall of 2019.
For information on the Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.), visit clinicalpsychpsyd.appstate.edu
Priority review date for admission is December 1st. Applications that are not complete by the priority date risk denial of admission; however, if seats remain for the invitation only on-campus interviews in February, applications not complete by December 1st will be considered.
- Rural mental health services
- Community-based collaborations
- Examination of ways to adapt and disseminate evidence-based treatments to communities in an effort to provide services to underserved populations, particularly youth and families
- Development of innovative ways to enhance and tailor evidence-based treatments, such as using telehealth or virtual reality as an exposure technique in treatment for substance use disorders or anxiety
- Investigation of how individual factors, such as cultural background or the presence of comorbid conditions, may influence manifestation of psychopathology and/or treatment outcomes
- Psychotherapy process and outcome
- Child and adolescent psychopathology
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, 2014-2016, Harvard University, Department of Psychology
- Clinical Psychology Pre-Doctoral Internship, 2013-2014, NYU/Bellevue Hospital Center
- Ph.D., 2014, Duke University, Clinical Psychology
- B.A., 2005, Brandeis University, Psychology & Sociology
Marchette, L.K., Thomassin, K., Hersh, J., MacPherson, H.A., Santucci, L. & Weisz, J.R. (under contract). Community Mental Health Settings. In T.H. Ollendick, S.W. White, & B.A. White (Eds), The Oxford Handbook of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Hersh, J., MacPherson, H., Ng, M.Y., Tagavi, D., & Weisz, J.R. (In Press). Evidence-Based Intervention for Children and Adolescents: Present and Future. In I. Frønes, S.K. Ertesvåg, H. Eng & J. Kjøbli (Eds), Risk, intervention and evidence: Challenges and strategies for child welfare, education, health and politics. Norway: Gyldendal.
Curry, J.F., & Hersh, J. (2016). Depressive Disorders and Substance Use Disorders. In Y. Kaminer (Ed.), Youth Substance Abuse and Co-Occurring Disorders. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Publishing.
Hersh, J., Metz, K.L., & Weisz, J.R. (2016). New frontiers in transdiagnostic treatment: Youth psychotherapy for internalizing and externalizing problems and disorders. International Journal of Cognitive Therapy, 9(2), 140-155.
Hersh, J., Curry, J.F., & Kaminer, Y. (2014). What is the Impact of Comorbid Depression on Adolescent Substance Abuse Treatment?. Substance Abuse, 35, 1-12. doi: 10.1080/08897077.2014.956164
Allen, T., Hersh, J., Schoch, K., & Shashi, V. (2014). Association of the family environment with behavioural and cognitive outcomes in children with Chromosome 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 58, 31-47. doi: 10.1111/jir.12054
Curry, J.F., & Hersh, J. (2014). Development and Evolution of Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Depressed Adolescents. Journal of Rational-Emotive and Cognitive Behavior Therapy, 32, 15-30. doi: 10.1007/s10942-014-0180-9
Hersh, J., Curry, J.F., & Becker, S.J. (2013). The Influence of Comorbid Depression and Conduct Disorder on MET/CBT Treatment Outcome for Adolescent Substance Use Disorders. International Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, 6, 325-341. doi: 10.1521/ijct.2013.6.4.325
Becker, S.J., Livas Stein, G., Curry, J.F., & Hersh, J. (2012). Ethnic differences among substance-abusing adolescents in a treatment dissemination project. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 42, 328-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2011.08.007
Stein, G.L., Curry, J.F., Hersh, J., Breland-Noble, A., Silva, S.G., Reinecke, M.A., . . . March, J. (2010). Ethnic Differences Among Adolescents Beginning Treatment for Depression. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 16(2), 152-158. doi: 10.1037/a0018666
George, D.T., Herion, D.W., Jones, C.L., Phillips, M.J., Hersh, J., Hill, D., . . . Kunos, G. (2009). Rimonabant (SR141716) has no effect on alcohol self-administration or endocrine measures in nontreatment-seeking heavy alcohol drinkers. Psychopharmacology, 208, 37-44. doi: 10.1007/s00213-009-1704-3
Ciccocioppo, R., Gehlert, D.R., Ryabinin, A., Kaur, S., Cippitelli, A., Thorsell, A., . . . Hersh, J., . . . Heilig, M. (2009). Stress-related neuropeptides and alcoholism: CRH, NPY, and beyond. Alcohol, 43(7), 491-8. doi: 10.1016/j.alcohol.2009.08.003
George, D.T.*, Gilman, J.*, Hersh, J.*, Thorsell, A.*, Herion, D., Geyer, C., . . . Heilig., M. (2008). Neurokinin 1 receptor antagonism as a possible therapy for alcoholism. Science, 319, 1536-1539. *These authors contributed equally. doi: 10.1126/science.1153813
Title: Clinical Assistant Professor
Department: Department of Psychology
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-6969